Iamthegreatestthingever

I move and shake like the rest of them.

Friday, January 27, 2006

links-of-chain-mail

The politicization of contemporary journalists surely has a lot to do with the fact that almost all of them today are university-trained. In Newspaper Days, H.L. Mencken recounts that in 1898, at the age of eighteen, he had a choice of going to college, there to be taught by German professors and on weekends to sit in a raccoon coat watching football games, or of getting a job on a newspaper, which would allow him to zip off to fires, whorehouse raids, executions, and other such festivities. As Mencken observes, it was no contest.

9 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, Blogger roya parsay said...

what?

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger allan said...

"liberal media" alert!!1 No wonder we don't get any juicy stories on whorehouse raids anymore.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Working Boy said...

higher education has destroyed the United States.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Adam Sanders said...

Newspaper reporters are destroying the United States. http://www.firstthings.com/onthesquare/?p=158

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Adam Sanders said...

I'm sorry if this constitutes spam, but does anybody know where Peter is? I haven't been able to get in touch with him, and he hasn't been on his blog in like a month.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Foodie on a Diet said...

He's got a new lady friend. :)

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Andie is right. From what I hear, Peter's new lady friend is a Polish woman who baby-sits him. But uh, I might be wrong in that...

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger brightereyed, bushiertailed said...

nothing wrong with the Polish ladies. I'll never write racialist rant against the Pollack because the polandizer is so often an excellent individual of style and vodka. The Albigensian threat on the other hand is what we should really be worrying about (and praying that a new Dominic - a new Torquemada indeed - would arise and sally etc. in defense of Christendom). I feel safe amongst our number though - I'm confident that Origami, for example, is no Heathen Cathar in Baptist's clothing, and Bredo may be many things, but is no Gnostic.

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Heather said...

.......I casually forgot to enhance the babysitting portion (in my mind, the better point)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home