The bugaboo
My life is completely uninteresting and rather simple. I go to work, I read books, I watch t.v., I drink, sometimes with friends, and, like all Daseins, I have the occasional unexpected adventure, lucky break, fuck over and etc…In light of this, it seems, I must now indulge in the very ordinary and completely uninspiring task of "going on vacation."
Pure vacation doesn't make sense to me. This, no doubt, has much to with the fact that when I was growing up my family never went on a real vacation. Instead, every family vacation was just a thinly veiled or not even veiled obligation or need that required us to either leave town or take a Sunday off. I remember fondly the summer vacation of 7th grade when we painted the house, or the 12th grade vacation to my Grandfather's funeral.
I can understand those vacation destinations that have amenities you cannot find at home. For example, skiing down mountains or shooting big game animals on the African plains with Timba and Sasqua there to pat you on the back (actually, this last one sounds like the kind of vacation I could enjoy. There is always something to be said for constant pampering and hollow self-aggrandizing activities…). The problem for me, however, is there is nothing I like doing that I can't already do where I am presently located. I don't like nature, or museums (plus why leave Chicago if you want museums?), I don't like skiing or natural water, or for that matter, the sun. This seems to eliminate most destinations, and the reason most people vacation. I went to Paris, once, for a day, and that was quite enough vacation for me. I ate a good meal, drank wine, saw the sights, and then went home.
That said does anyone have any good suggestions for a vacation?


2 Comments:
you DO like staying in hotels, though
D.S-I talked to Joe on Sunday (I called him) and the only weekend he is free is the 12th of August. This is a bit tight, what is your schedule like? We could also go in the fall over some long weekend, when it's not 90 degrees...
Post a Comment
<< Home