Iamthegreatestthingever

I move and shake like the rest of them.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

dashing!

Some of the nay-sayers out there may not believe this, but I volunteered this weekend past. Yup, v-o-l-u-n-t-e-e-r-ed. You see, some of my associates in the area don’t know the necessity of extravagance and have shacked up in a Westside ghetto “to do good.” One of these bohemians unfortunately signed away 2 years of his life to watch them be wasted trying to enforce genuinely pointless tasks on children with much more pressing concerns than cloud formations and times tables. One can only hope that someday we wake up the great scourge that is public education and the racial and economic segregation it openly promotes and propagates. But I digress....Anyhoo, this old pal asked me to work on his initiative with him and in a fit of sobriety I said, "Yes."

Awaking early on Saturday, my muscles twitching with excitement, I arrived at the westside school that functioned as the meeting point. My first inkling that this would blow came when I saw a large crowd of white people hanging out, happy as clams, outside the school. And, judging from the speed of passing traffic, so where the neiborhood residents. Anxious to get out of that scene I went inside in search of food.

Working Boy: I understand you are going to serve us breakfast.
America Corper: yes.
W.B.: Excellent, I’ll have 3 momosas, a V8 Splash and a melon ball. Honeydew if you have it.
A.C.: We got something even better than all that stuff! How about some dayold artesian bread from a hippy bakery and TANG.
W.B: I think I’ll just have coffee then.
A.C: Naturally decafinated, shade grown coffee?
W.B: Oh good lord.

Sufficiently screwed on the breakfast front I wandered around looking for some cleaning product to drink when I stumbled across the orientation for the day’s events. There I heard enough liberal hooey, granola munching propaganda and secular humanism to kill an organically grown horse. Did you know, at least according to one of the short-haired old lady hippy leaders, that community gardens pretty much solve everyone’s problem? It’s true. Starvation, gentrification, illiteracy, power hungry evangelicals, whitey. There's nothing conservative, sacred or different that a community garden can't stop! Thoroughly rallied we were assigned to our groups. This is when things took a drastic turn.

Without so much as a segment of cantaloupe to settle my stomach, I watched in horror as I was placed in the worst clean up crew of them all. You see hippies are very, very bad people. Like idealists and east coasters, they are worthless grant grubbing scoundrels that waste poor people's time and energy on their myriad of year-long pet projects while they're “finding themselves” in their 20’s. But, and here's the rub, the hippy is not without her draws and, oh let’s say, liberalities. One could even say, perhaps, it was these very liberalities that brought me to this futile endevour that very morning. And it was there, between two folding tables, that I watched in pure horror as I was placed in “group” consisting of 3 other male members two of whom were idealists.

Standing there amongst the poseurs, I watched bushel, after bushel of sandal wearing ponytails skip and giggle their way to far off, remote community gardens filled with hot springs, steam showers and those anything goes hippy dress codes. I’ll never volunteer again.

5 Comments:

At 3:00 PM, Blogger brightereyed, bushiertailed said...

I have a memory of Andy in England, trying to size up his living situation for the next school year, with a look of horror on his face as he was informed that there would be a 'hippy' living at the Hen House. Fortunately this turned out not to happen.

I have a somewhat conflicted relationship with hippyism myself. I do wear Birkenstocks. And I did find said Birks while trashpicking. But I was trashpicking in order to finance a grand tour of the bourgeois heartland, namely Europe, and I wear them with gold-toe socks. Sometimes it's nice to blur boundaries or offend tastes.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger brightereyed, bushiertailed said...

Yeah, too bad about that, I guess. Honestly though, Andy, you never got very hip either. Actually you're pretty lame.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Foodie on a Diet said...

Damn it...I think I might be a hippy. Except for the pot smoking and the free love. If I closed my eyes and grabbed for something out of my closet, it would most likely be some shade of brown or green or tan. I do yoga, I think that all farming should be organic (though my wallet doesn't always support that belief). And I make it a point to slash the tires of every SUV that I pass.

I guess my psychotic hippy fifth grade teacher got to me afterall...I refuse to give up showering, though.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Well, I'm definately not a hippie!!! Real hippies are gross and dirty and smell like rancid asscracks.

But I often do enjoy listening to the Live at Filmore East vinyl, lighting up a nice bowl of cereal and at free loving it with a least 5 or 6 swingers.

Ok, I'll admit that last part if pretty false. But you can't go wrong with Hippie music.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger brightereyed, bushiertailed said...

I do, however, remonstrate you about the ponytails. I had a pretty sobering experience myself the other evening. Having met a rather fetching young lady down in Manhattan, and ascertained that we were practically neighbors in the Bronx, I offered to escort her back to our dangerous ghetto premises. Before I had even gotten the chance to "put my best moves on" this tempting vixen, however, I discovered that she was, in fact, a YOUNG lady indeed - a Fordham freshman, and at 18, no older than my sister Gillian. This was rather a shock to my system - I was immediately seized with crippling arthritis and heartburn pains, and the sound of her cheerful adolescent patter became pretty grating long before we'd reached campus...

Oh well. There will always be the Rachels and, dare I say, Janines of the world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home