Iamthegreatestthingever

I move and shake like the rest of them.

Friday, April 14, 2006

This is a pretty lame move but this article has become the highlight of my week.

In another illustration of hard-fought (even, here, arguably hard-hearted) selfness, Terri Minsky describes having a demanding TV career that could put her in L.A. for months at a time, while her family remained in Manhattan. At one point, her two woeful children ask, "Mommy, do you love your television show more than us?" When she says "no," they counter with, "Mommy, then why are you with the show and not with us?" And what she thinks, but poignantly cannot say, is, "I want to do this. I need to do this. This is who I am, and it's taken a lot of therapy not to apologize for that." She then tells a roomful of network executives that her son eventually supported her need to self-actualize, and the moms among them burst out crying.

7 Comments:

At 3:09 PM, Blogger brightereyed, bushiertailed said...

That was a pretty good review - how are your Ferragamos and Cole Haans and eastern Gaspé smoked salmon treating you these days? Actually I don't know what those things are, except the salmon. Maybe they're just for women.

Did you read Mark Steyn's latest piece on Iran? http://www.city-journal.org/html/16_2_iran.html
I'm not sure what to think about it - I usually agree with what Steyn says, but I'm not sure he's thought this one through very well.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger brightereyed, bushiertailed said...

By the way, I'm busy quoting from Richard Cross's book on Scotus. Red-nosed limey bastard. I hate Brian Davies too. Despite my ardent Anglo-supremacism, I think the only English people I've ever liked have been bartenders.

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger brightereyed, bushiertailed said...

Andy I think the blog scene is going through a bit of a slump. It seems like I'm the only one who ever responds to you nowadays. Where's Bredo, for one thing?
p.s. you roll lousy cigarretts
p.s.s. when the sun sets on the ghetto all the broken stuff gets cold.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger brightereyed, bushiertailed said...

I guess you and I are the only ones that spend at least eight hours a day staring at a computer screen and trying to distract ourselves.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Adam Sanders said...

That woman is despicable. It's an interesting review, it makes me want to check out the book, which I'm sure would make me mad and probably would cause me to bash Millie over the head and say "so BACK DOWN, wife!" By the way, have you heard the new pay-per-listen episodes of the Ricky Gervais show? If you haven't, and you want them, let me know...

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger allan said...

Steyn is good...I read him sometimes at B&N when I'm supposed to be studying.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger brightereyed, bushiertailed said...

I like reading him too, but he's a war-monger, which is an odd thing to say about a Canadian. The more I think about it, the more I think he can't be right about Iran.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home